Citizen Science Testing for Campaign Groups
Citizen Science provides great information for your campaign to stop pollution from sewage in your river. Do you want to do your own Citizen Science testing to check the water quality in your river? We have a set of materials to help you. You will find guidance and links to resources in these two briefing documents:
1. Here is the protocol we have developed and which is approved by the Environment Agency for testing the water for sewage pollution
2. Here is what you need if you want to test the water quality in a stretch of a river.
Do get in touch if you want any help as we provide seminars to support you. Click here:
By and large the general public is unaware that rivers are used to discharge not only treated effluent but also untreated effluent directly to rivers;
• It’s (almost) all quite legal , permitted under licence by the Environment Agency;
• The EA advise against swimming in rivers;
• Both the water industry and the EA have been content with these arrangements; and,
• Spills during heavy rainfall events usually go unnoticed, because outlet pipes are often hidden from view.